The Easter holidays are upon us but it’s not too late to plan a quick last minute getaway! Here are Marco Polo’s top 5 Easter destinations. Read on for inspiration and find out how you can win 5 Marco Polo Guides of your choice and a Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 camera!
April in Paris, is there anything better? We love the city of lights in any season, but spring definitely adds to its charm. Visit the beautiful parks and gardens to witness the blossoming trees and stroll through the streets along the Seine. The famed patisseries with their chocolate marvels will make your Easter egg pale in comparison. Find a spot on one of the many terraces and enjoy the Parisian café culture with a café au lait or a pre-dinner apéro. You will not be disappointed.
For Marco Polo Paris tips, check out our other blog posts.
Malta during Easter is definitely worth a visit! You can enjoy the Easter processions around the island but don’t worry, restaurants and shops will be open for business. There are also many special Easter treats to sample, such as the Kwarezimal – Lenten biscuits – and Figolli – sweet almond cakes covered in icing or chocolate.
Of course, Malta remains close to our hearts because of its beautiful landscapes and fascinating history. The good weather doesn’t hurt either, and April is perfect for exploring the sights as the temperature will be around a comfortable 20 degrees.
For more Malta tips, check out our other blog posts.
The Netherlands is world-famous for their tulips, and April is the best time to see them in bloom. The Dutch tulip garden Keukenhof boasts a total of 800 varieties of tulips and the garden is easily accessible by public transport. In Amsterdam, when the weather is good, the locals will take to the terraces for a glass of wine and there are plenty of spots along the canals. Watch as the locals cycle by and enjoy the beautiful spring sunshine. Later on in April the city will become the centre of the orange-mania during the annual King’s Day celebrated on 27th April.
For more Amsterdam tips, see our blog posts.
The Canary Islands
If you are in the mood for some sunshine and warm weather, the Canary Islands are your best bet. Lounge by the pool and work on your tan, or alternatively, experience a different Easter with the locals. Religious processions are a tradition here, and a lot of effort goes into re-enacting the sometimes gruesome events of the past.
Instead of an Easter egg hunt, you can have a more adventurous hike through the beautiful landscapes and breathe in the sea air.
For more Canary Island tips, see our blog posts.
Rome is the ultimate Easter destination. The Vatican is a must for those who wish to attend the Catholic Easter celebrations but there are more ways to enjoy the holiday. You should note that most of the city will be closed on Easter Sunday and Monday, including shops and museums. However, many restaurants will be open and you can sample the traditional Italian Easter menus. Chocolate eggs are also available in abundance. On Easter Monday do as the Romans do and head to a park for a picnic lunch.
For more Rome tips, see our blog posts.
To celebrate Spring, Marco Polo is organising an Easter giveaway! We are giving away a set of 5 Marco Polo Guides of your choice and a Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 camera to one lucky winner, chosen at random.
GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED!
How to enter? Simply share the story of your most memorable Easter / Spring travel moment in the comments below. You can earn more chances to win by liking our Facebook page and by following our Twitter and Instagram accounts and by letting us know in your comment that you have done so. The competition is open from Monday 3 April 2017 until Friday 7 April 2017 at 12.00 GMT. We will contact the winner personally via email using the email address used to leave the comment so make sure to check that it is spelled correctly! Good luck!
Terms and Conditions:
- The promotion is open to UK & European residents aged 18 or over, excluding employees and their immediate families of Marco Polo, its agents or anyone professionally connected with the promotion.
- To enter, simply comment on the blog post. Additional chances to win may be acquired by liking the Marco Polo Facebook page and by following the Marco Polo Twitter and Instagram accounts. If the entrant has done any of the mentioned actions, it should be stated in the comment.
- This competition will commence on 3rd April 2017 and all entries must be received by 12.00 GMT on 17 April 2017. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, posted late, misdirected, and incorrect, garbled or fail to reach the Promoter by the closing date for any reason. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid.
- No purchase necessary, however internet access is required.
- The Prizes: 1 x prize winner will receive 5 Marco Polo guides of their choice and a Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 camera (RRP £64.99).
- The prize must be taken as stated and no compensation will be payable if a winner is unable to use the prize as stated. The winner will be liable for all costs and expenses not stated relating to claiming or partaking of the prize.
- The promoter may substitute the prize for a prize of an equal or greater value if, for any reason the original item is unavailable.
- By entering, winners agree that if they win they will participate in any reasonable publicity arranged by The Promoter or its agencies.
- By entering the promotion entrants confirm that they have read and agree to be bound by these terms & conditions and by the decisions of the Promoter, which are final in all matters relating to the promotion. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The Promoter or its agencies accept no responsibility for any loss or damage suffered through acceptance of the prize.
- The Promoter or its agencies will not be responsible for the non-inclusion of entries as a result of technical failures or otherwise, including any such failure which is within the control of The Promoter or its agencies. Proof of submission of entry is not proof of receipt of entry.
- The Promoter reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering or to have tampered with the operation of the promotion or the Marco Polo website, or to be acting in violation of these terms and conditions.
- To the full extent permitted by law the Promoter will not accept liability for any loss, damage, injury or death arising from this promotion beyond its reasonable control. The Promoter is Marco Polo Travel Publishing, Pinewood, Chineham Business Park, Crockford Lane, Chineham, Basingstoke, RG24 8AL